Some painters are able to get clean edge lines freehanded. However, it can be incredibly time-consuming and line smears can still happen. A paint edger tool can speed up both the process and improve your accuracy.
In this article, I’ll review the 10 best paint edger tools based on their functionality for different paint projects.
Top 11 Paint Edger Tools: Quick Summary
- Best Overall: Shur-Line Paint Edger Pro
- Best For Rolling: Accubrush MX Paint Edger Kit
- Best Multipurpose Professional Kit: Shur-Line Triple Pack
- Best Extension: Wagner SMART Edger – Paint Edging and Roller Tool
- Best for Corners: Shur-Line 2006561 Corner Painter
- Best for Ceilings and High Walls: Mr. LongArm 0470, Trim Smart Paint Edger
- Best for Brush Guide for Trim Work: Emery Edger Paint Brush with Edging Tool
- Best Budget Option at $7: Edward Tools Paint Trim Guard (12″)
- Best for Accuracy: YUKAKI Paint Pad Set – Accurate Painting Tool
- Best for Hard to Reach Areas: PAINT BEHIND Flat Brush
- Best Angled Brush for Edge Painting: Wooster Shortcut Angle Sashbrush
Top 11 Best Paint Edger Tools Reviewed
There are a lot of paint edger tools on the market. But I’ve limited this review to 11 of the top ones to save you time.
1. Shur-Line Paint Edger Pro: Best Overall
I recommend you try this paint edger tool first. The Shur-Line Paint Edger Pro is inexpensive, easy to use, and works well on lots of paint jobs.
This paint edger has been a staple in my painting kit for years, even as I’ve picked up more expensive tools.
Pro Tip: To load the paint, use a paintbrush to apply the paint to the Shur-Line fabric pad. This is easier than trying to dip a flat square into a bucket or pan of paint.
- Can be mounted to a pole for high walls and ceilings
- Inexpensive: Runs $7 – $10 at most stores
- with the push of the eject button
- Versatile for different paint finishes (flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, or gloss)
- how to use it and requires careful paint application
- Cleaning the handle can be difficult (especially if the paint dries in it)
- ade for corners below)
Video Demonstration of Shur Line Paint Edger Pro
Whether you’re buying your first paint edger tool or have been painting for years, the Shur Line Paint Edger Pro is worth trying out because of its price point, versatility, and its durability.
2. Accubrush MX Paint Edger Kit: Best for Rolling
The Accubrush MX Paint Edger kit is my top pick for using a paint roller for edge and line work.
Though I usually prefer paint brushes for detail work, paint rollers can rapidly speed up the completion of projects.
It works especially well alongside window and door frame molding.
The rollers can be easily detached, washed, and stored to use again another day.
Also, the kit has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Rollers are washable & reusable
- You get a lot for your money: 11 total pieces
- Easy to clean and reuse the rollers
- The biggest downside is this roller can’t be mounted on a pole. All the rollers I’ve used in the past have this convenient option for high walls and hard-to-reach areas
- Limited to edge work that has perfectly straight lines and already works with paint rollers. Will not work in tight corners.
Video Demonstration and Guide of Accubrush MX Paint Edger
Overall, this kit is one of the best paint edger tools when it comes to a paint roller. While it’s one of the most expensive, you get a large kit and the peace of mind of a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you’re painting a larger area, like an entire room repaint, then this helps cut down on project time.
However, keep in mind that it can’t be attached to a mounting pole, which means you’ll likely need to keep a ladder nearby. But overall, a great paint edge roller.
And if you’d like the pack with a roller than can be mounted on a pole, check out the Accubrush XT Paint Edger Deluxe Kit with Free MX Edger. This version comes with more options like:
- pole mountable paint edger
- 40″ wooden paint pole for painting ceilings & walls
- an MX paint edger
- a paint tray
- 4 brushes,
- 4 rollers
3. Shur-Line Triple Pack: Best Professional Kit
The Shur-Line Triple Pack is my favorite professional kit for paint edge work.
The pack includes
- 1 Shur-Line Paint Edger
- 1 Shur-Line 1575H Corner Painter
- 1 Replacement Pad
This pro edger is a compact and versatile painter’s tool. It will help you to make crisp lines on baseboards and ceiling edges with ease.
Additionally, the edger has a button to eject wet pads, which helps keep your hands clean on paint jobs.
â€‹Few people found it not working perfectly, but most of the users said it’s very good and working great. So, if you think this pack is perfect for you, then you can buy this pack for your next painting projects.
Complete Paint Edger Kit
Another product from the Accubrush brand and it’s a complete paint edging tool kit. But this is much more expensive than other products.
Overall, it’s a complete edging tool for painting, that’s why it’s a little bit expensive than the other paint edgers. This professional & perfect edger model has quite a long handle.
So, with this edger, you can work precisely against trim and ceilings. Also, with these rollers, you’ll be able to load paint very easily & quickly and edge quickly as well.
That’s why, if you use this kit for your painting job, you’ll be able to finish up your job very fast and quickly as well. The kit is quite expensive, but if you’re looking for a high-quality edging tool kit, you can go for it.
It’s expensive, so if you want you can buy our other pick. But, it’s not bad in quality, and if you want a long handle edger and you have enough budget, then you can buy this Accubrush MX XT Complete Paint Edging Kit.â€‹
Next Read: 7 Top Rated Wood Paint Strippers
3. Wagner 0530000B SMART Edger, Paint Edging & Roller Tool
Wagner is a well-known painting supplies brand, that’s why we put it on our list. And also, we put it in our top pick as well.
This perfect and smart paint edge roller has a nice and comfortable plastic handle, speedy roller for painting, and onboard paint reservoir as well, which means it provides you everything that you need in one package.
Therefore, the product is user-friendly, and also it includes a thumb trigger on the handle for precise, easy, and controlled painting as well. On the other hand, this tool is inexpensive.
â€‹All in one, if you’re looking for a nice looking & high-quality paint edging roller, then you can go for it. If you don’t like number 1 & number 2, then you can buy it without any worry! Because it’s another high-quality product & we recommend it.
Next:â€‹â€‹â€‹ â€‹Some Vital Paints for Vinyl Surfaces
â€‹5. Mr. LongArm 0470, Smart & Cheap Paint Edger
Mr. LongArm 0470, Smart Paint Edger is one of the cheapest paint edging tools that you can buy in 2022, for your needs. It doesn’t cost you too much, it will cost you less than $10.
This tool is one of the most affordable for edging, that’s why we’ve included it on our list. With this cheap tool, you’ll be able to do the basic edging jobs. Typically, you can work with this tool on your ceiling, baseboards, windows, doors, and much more.
â€‹Additionally, it’s the cheapest and good quality tool for painting. It comes with a swivel handle, that’s why it keeps paint pad flush with the wall or any other surface at any angle, and this is one of the great features of this product.
And its replaceable flocked foam paint pad for water-based, and oil-based paints as well, so, you don’t have to worry about this paint edging tool. There’s another good thing about this product, it’s made in the USA.
â€‹It’s a option, so overall, it’s an excellent and perfect option for those who searching for a cheap edging tool. So, if you’re looking for this type edger for your painting project, you can purchase it.
6. Emery Edger Paint Brush with Edging Tool
Emery Edger Paint Brush with Edging Tool is another cheap one on our list. And we think this product is the best one for the money.
With this paint edger, you’ll be able to create perfect edges on any trim. But with this edger, you can’t finish your job in a short time.
But overall, it’s good enough for small projects and medium projects.
â€‹It’s cheap, but it’s a little bit slow, so if you think you it’s not perfect for you, then you can select another one from our list. But it will last for multiple painting projects.
â€‹Overall, it’s an excellent option for those who like to keep their stuff simple.
If you want you can purchase this tool for your next project, but you must keep on your mind that it’s not the fastest option.
We think it’s perfect for small, and medium projects, to an ideal option for the big projects.
â€‹7. Shur-Line 2006701 640C Interior â€‹and Exterior Painter Pad
This Shur-Line 2006701 640C is yet another great edging tool for painters.
The tool provides number one and smooth finish on shakes, shingles, siding, walls, floors, and more surfaces as well.
These tools are a perfect option for interior and exterior. Its lightweight and durable handle speed up your job for sure.
Many people used this item, and they love it. Overall, it’s yet another cheapest option that you can check for your interior or exterior painting projects.
â€‹This interior and exterior painter pad is a cheap product, it doesn’t cost you more than 10 dollars, so if you want, you can give a try to this item. Lots of people love this product, and we hope you’ll love this item as well.
â€‹8. â€‹YUKAKI Paint Pad Set – Accurate Painting Tool
This YUKAKI Paint Pad Set is our last pick, but it’s not a low-quality item. The Paint Pad Set includes one paint edger for perfect edging job.
It comes with one large coverage paint pad, one edger, one tray, and one small paintbrush as well.
However, if you select this paint pad set, you’ll get a full package for your painting jobs.
The set is one of the perfect paint pad set for home decoration and more.
â€‹Overall, if you’re searching for a paint pad set that includes a paint pad, edger, tray, and paintbrush, then this set can be an ideal option for you.
What Is a Paint Edger?
Paint edger is small, low cost and user-friendly tool that is especially designed to help you in painting. You can easily paint around trim work, casings, baseboards and ceilings surface or any other narrow places in a room using a paint edger.
It can be the most beneficial device, when you want to get a faster and prettier paint work without stress to remove the trickiest spots in any area. Do you want to paint with it? Then take a paint pad and attach with the paint edger to enjoy a pretty painting experience.
Things to Consider when Buying the Best Paint Edger Tools
When you want to purchase the best paint edger tool, it can be tough to decide which tool is perfect for your needs. Here are some things to consider when you want to purchase the best one â€“
- Paint edgers are specially used to make a buffer so that the paint brush or roller doesnâ€™t come too close to the ceiling or trim. Most importantly you have to select the wider paint strip. You will need a small edger, if you are painting narrow or small areas like between closely space of windows or behind the corner of a door. Itâ€™s because small size edger will perfectly fit into those spaces.
- It is important to choose a paint edger which material is suitable for the paint which you want to apply. For water-based acrylic or latex paints, use a brush or roller that made with synthetic materials. Natural fiber covers or natural bristles materials work well for oil based paints.
- Use the smear method to paint with paint edger by pads. These pads are made by absorbent materials that help to absorb paint from the tray. It works like a sponge.
- Make sure that you can easily buy replacement pad for the paint edging tool which you are going to purchase. You need to know in advance that if they are expensive or not easily available.
- Purchase an edger with a pole extender which is universal fit and adjustable. It helps you to avoid an accidental fall off and continuously get up and move. By using a pole extender, you can easily and safely reach the high ceiling line to properly paint.
- Normally budgets for paint edgers vary from cheap to pricey. Cheap edgers can be available under $50. For a top quality edger, you may need to spend $100 or more. How much you should spend, it depends on your budget. Though a cheap paint edging tool can provide you a great service, if your decision making is more planned.
Do Any Paint Edgers Actually Work?
Yes, definitely work. Paint edgers give you an expert quality result. It will save both your time and stress. You donâ€™t need to tape trim or ceilings. It is also used to paint edges around circular objects. Make sure that you using it correctly without any mess up. Working with it, you have to do some practice. So no worries, if you need to do a little bit of practice.
How Do You Use a Paint Edger?
Painting can be one of the easiest and most successful DIY projects, when you are using a paint edger tool. But it can be touchy. Take a look on our few tips to use a paint edger properly â€“
- Firstly put some paint into the painting tray or a durable paper plate. No need to add too much paint, which can be messy or hard to control.
- Then use your paint pad. Lay it on the top of the paint tray. Roll the pad to hold enough paint. When you lift it away from the plate, be careful. The paint should not drip off.
- Check the wheel and wheel edge that they are completely free of paint or not. If you get any paint then remove it with a cloth or damp paper towel.
- Start the painting work at one side of the line. Position the paint edging tool to opposite area of workplace or that you want to paint. Hold the paint edger tool tightly against the surface.
- The wheels position should be facing the surface part. Now start rolling the edger up and down with applying a little pressure. Work slowly and calmly.
- Until the full area is painted, if you need more paint to continue the process, apply more paint on the pad. Always wipe away the excess paint.
- When the surface color is changed, you can apply a second coat of paint. In that case, you should wait until the first coat is dried properly. You can apply as many coats as needed to achieve your desired painting.
How Do You Clean a Paint Edger?
If you want to keep your paint edger tools functional for a long time and want to use them for future painting projects, you will need to clean them after each use. Here are some tips to help you how to clean your paint edger properly â€“
- Dried paint will quickly spoil your painting result that builds on the handle or edging surface. So after each use, clean your paint edger carefully with soap and clean water.
- After completing your painting task with paint edger, squeeze the pad to release paint. Then wash again.
- If any amount of paint is still present, add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap to the pad and then rinse properly.
- Use a sponge or your finger to wash off the paint on the edger handle.
- Before using it for another paint project or storing the paint edger, letâ€™s dry the edger pad and handle in air completely.
- Some roller-type edgers users like to clean the roller covers to reuse them. Others prefer to use a fresh roller cover in every new project. They discard the old roller covers. If you want to reuse it, clean the cover thoroughly. But using a fresh roller cover can offer the best result.
Final Verdict on Best Paint Edger Products
Now we hope this paint edger reviews guide will help you to find the best paint edging tool, and it will save your money and time as well.
Overall, the Accubrush is the best brand, and we recommend you to purchase number one, two, three. But if you want, you can read the full content and purchase one that you like!
What is a paint edger?
How do you use a paint edger?
How do you use Shure Line paint edger?
What is the best paint edger to use?
How do you make your own paint edger?
Where can I buy an Accubrush paint edger?
How do you use a paint edger on the ceiling?
How do you use an edger to paint?
How do you use a paint edger with wheels?
How do you adjust a Shur Line paint edger pad?
How do you use a paint edger pad?
How do you adjust paint edger pads?
How does a paint edger work?
Where to buy Shur Line paint edger
Who sells the best paint edger?
where to buy paint edger roller
where can i buy the accubrush paint edger in home depot?